The original Muessel School was constructed in 1905 on land owned at various times by Native American Madeline Bertrand, early settler Alexis Coquillard, and the Muessel Brewing Company. Students in grades K-7 attended the school. Grades 8 and 9 were added in 1925. Fresh-air classrooms on the upper floor served students with tuberculosis or respiratory problems. A new Muessel Primary Center was constructed on the same block and opened in 2001. It now houses students in preK-grade 4.